Spring has Sprung!
Spring is finally here and we can look forward to warmer days and lighter nights. This is the time when we start to think about summer and getting our bodies into tip top condition so that we can feel comfortable wearing fewer clothes in the hot weather. It’s also easier to think about fitness and exercise as the days are longer, lighter and we have more motivation to go and do something rather than wanting to stay inside, put the fire on, close the curtains and stay warm like we tend to do during the winter months.
It’s a great time of year to think about ways to improve your health and fitness and to want to do it. It’s good to have a goal to work towards whether that is a summer holiday or simply wanting to have more energy and better fitness levels.
Try the following our top 8 tips to get yourself in the best shape for summer:
- Get outside and top up your vitamin D levels. Daylight has a huge effect on our mood and sleep, so make the most of the lighter nights and warmer (hopefully) days and get outside and enjoy the fresh air. Go for a walk, run or a bike ride or run around with the kids (or grandkids in my case 😊) or simply find a quiet spot to relax, have a picnic, catch up with friends or read a book. Rest and relaxation are just as important as exercise – it’s all about getting the balance right.
- Stay hydrated. Sometimes it’s hard over winter, when it’s cold, to drink the right amount of water but as it gets warmer, it’s important to stay hydrated. Try to drink 2 to 3 litres of water a day and limit sugary & alcoholic drinks. Get yourself a 1l or 2l water bottle so that you can measure the amount that you drink to make sure that you are drinking enough.
- Check your diet. Spring is a great time to incorporate fresh fruit, salad and vegetables into your diet. Avoid processed foods and look for seasonal fruit and veg instead. Have fun creating different salads. Add some chicken or fish to make sure that you are getting enough protein. Try meal planning and prepping meals for the week ahead so that you always have something healthy to hand, and stay away from the fad diets this year!
- Sleep! Getting enough sleep is essential for overall health and wellness. Make sure to have a good routine – try things like a relaxing bath, reading or listening to some relaxing music. Try to turn off the tv and put your phone away at least 30 – 60 minutes before you go to bed. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and alcohol before bed. If you struggle with night sweats, try a bamboo duvet and bedding – I love these as they are so breathable and cooling and perfect for the summer months 😊
- Manage stress. This can be difficult as life can be hectic, but try to take time for you, to manage your stress levels and to try to lower them. Try to do something different to your normal routine – go out for dinner, to the theatre or a concert or a long walk at the weekend, rounded off with a lovely pub lunch (one of my favourite things to do all year round). Exercise is perfect for lowering mental stress and giving you time for you, so try a new fitness class, our 30-minute strength training circuit, Yoga, swimming or a jog or cycle in the fresh air. Meditation and deep breathing are also great for lowering stress levels and can easily be done whenever and wherever.
- Stay active. Regular exercise is important for good health and fitness. There’s nothing like the motivation and adrenaline that you get from joining in a fitness class! Try our Zumba, Dancersise, HIIT Aerobics, fitness Yoga or Boxing class, to name a few, for that buzz in an incredibly supportive environment. Try to incorporate exercise into your daily routine, so that it becomes part of what you do rather than being a chore. Think about the best time of day that you like to exercise and plan 30 minutes to workout, whether that’s going to the gym, a brisk walk or whatever you like to do. Do different things that keep you consistent and motivated such as a long walk, a fitness class, a gym circuit, a manic cleaning session, gardening or a swim, run or bike ride. If you are doing a combination of these, and variety is great, then the chances are that you are getting enough exercise – just make sure to do something for 30 minutes every day and be consistent! If you are consistent with exercise, it doesn’t matter if you miss a session as there will be another one soon 😊
- De-clutter! I think Spring is a great time to de-clutter. If you’re like me, you’ll feel so much better afterwards. Have a good sort out of books, kitchen cupboards, old phones, plastic bags, board games, toys, clothes and shoes, as well as skincare and make-up products. My big de-cluttering projects for this Spring are the garage and the loft! Wish me luck 😊
- Look after your skin. This is super important as the weather improves and you spend more time outside. Use a high factor sunscreen every day to protect it from the sun’s harmful rays and top up regularly if you are outside for long periods of time.
Start your journey to health and fitness today, be consistent and it will soon become a habit and part of your normal daily routine which you can then build on over time. Remember, anything done regularly soon becomes a habit – think of brushing your teeth or having a shower lol! 😊
Check out our classes and strength training circuit at W Fitness. You can use the circuit and attend unlimited classes with our memberships. See if we can become one of your new habits to become a healthier, fitter you 😊
Caroline & Hannah xx