Week 7 of the Great British Bake Off brought us Vegan week! This is a new addition to #GBBO (and we love it!).
Although Veganism should always be a lifestyle choice, and not a diet choice, we do believe in incorporating vegan meals into our weekly meal plan as they are full of nutrients.
This week we’ve chosen a Quiche Tart with Wild Garlic – perfect for lunch, a dinner party appetizer, and lunch boxes for on the go!
VEGAN QUICHE TART WITH WILD GARLIC
- 240 g all purpose flour
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 6 tbsp mild olive oil or mild coconut oil
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 60 g wild garlic, chopped small
- 15 g fresh basil or mint leaves, chopped small
- 300 g silken tofu
- zest of 1 lemon + 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 heaped tbsp capers, chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp herbs de provence
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt, adjust to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, to decorate
For the pastry:
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and work it into the flour with your fingers until all the flour until it forms little balls.
- Add cold water, a little bit at a time (you’ll need around 60ml).
- Bring all the dough together, and kneed. Form the dough into a ball and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and leave at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball, then place between two sheets of baking paper and roll out.
- Line 6 small tart tins with the dough and trim excess pastry off with a knife. Pierce the pastry cases with a fork and refrigerate till the oven heats up.
- Heat the oven to 160° C.
- Cut little squares of baking paper a touch bigger than your tart tins. Then remove the dough from the fridge, place a square of baking paper inside each tin and fill with baking beads (or dry rice). Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the beads and the baking paper inserts and return the tins to the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200° C.
- Heat 2tsp of olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the sliced spring onions and chopped wild garlic leaves. Fry on a gentle heat, stirring frequently, until the spring onions become soft and the leaves wilt.
- Place all the filling ingredients apart from the cherry tomatoes and pine nuts in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Season to taste.
- Fill the pre-baked tart cases with the tofu filling so that the filling is level with the crust.
- Add the tomato halves and pine nuts onto each tart.
- Bake in a 200° C oven for about 20 minutes, until the tops are nicely browned.
- Remove the tarts from the oven and allow them to cool and set.