It’s week 3 and it’s BREAD WEEK! From a simple loaf to luxury bread and butter pudding, there’s so much more to bread than everybody thinks, so experiment and HAVE FUN!
This week, we have chosen to share our simple but delicious multi-grain seeded bread, perfect for sandwiches, toast and as a midday snack with butter, honey or garlic and herb dip!
MULTI-GRAIN SEEDED LOAF
- 500g malted wholemeal flour plus extra for dusting work surface
- 100g mixed seeds (sunflower, flax, sesame)
- 7g sachet of instant dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp malt extract
- Butter or oil for greasing loaf tin/baking tray
- Put the flour and seeds in a large bowl. Sprinkle the yeast into the flour, stir and add the salt (making sure that the yeast and salt don’t land on top of each other).
- Add the malt extract to 300-350ml of warm water and stir till it’s dissolved. Gradually add to the flour, mixing until you have a dough. Mix well as this dough can be quite wet on the inside and dry on the outside. Add more water if the dough is too dry
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and kneed thoroughly until smooth. Put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave somewhere warm for 2 hours until it is well risen (about double the size)
- Knock the dough back, then lightly kneed it again and shape to fit into a greased loaf tin or form into a free shape and place on a greased baking tray. Cover again with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for half an hour
- Heat oven to 230°C/210°C Fan/Gas mark 8. After another half an hour rising, place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until its’s well risen and brown
- Remove from the oven. The loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom
W Fitness | Park Centre, Station Road, Horsforth, Leeds, LS18 5NX | 0113 345 2550